Thursday, November 10, 2016

The Morning of November Ninth

My dearest CBC,

I, like much of Colorado, California, the Northeast, and all those who hoped and believed in kindness over hatred, woke yesterday as if in a dream.  The United States Biathlon team had a tangible cloud of pain hanging over us, reflected in silences and faces carved of stone, and in some cases even tears that ran freely in the morning, evidence of a still absorbing shock-wave.

Susan and I could not bring ourselves to race in the American race suit on that day of all days. A sliver of hope and the shadow of a smile did cross my face as I pulled on the CBC kit instead, its pink, blue, white, and Colorado flag undimmed by the darkness of the day.  I asked myself how I could ever race in the red, white, and blue again, stand with pride with the American flag emblazoned across jackets and hats, pants, and collars.  The path that lies before me now asks that I stand for this country, in partnership with a firearm.  How then, I wondered, could I face my own self in the mirror and do this?

CBC, you are how.  The future generations, you are how.  Yesterday my facebook erupted, not in messages of anger, but in messages of love.  Of promises to stand up for those who have less, who identify as a minority, who are afraid as the darkness rises.  Of pledges to protect others, be kind to others, to remember who we are, and that we are strong enough to face the coming years.  Though the waves of disbelief still echo across our country, our flag still stands for something stronger than a single man, a single day.  Our stars and stripes have flown over many battlefields and sports fields, acts of terror and acts of heroism.  We have passed through years of darkness and years of light, through wars civil and worldwide, and still come out standing.

You all give me hope, each one of you.  From Grand Junction to Evergreen, Denver to Boulder, from the Rockies to the Great Plains, I am inspired by each of you and your dedication to both this sport and to being wonderful human beings.  I know that there are parts of America in which acceptance, love, kindness, and intelligence remain.   For all of you that have children, I hope you teach them the value of these qualities, as each of you have taught me.  I will wear the American flag for this, I will wear it for you.  Because of you, my friends, I will wear the American suit with pride.  

And now we turn our faces toward Sweden, and the countdown to World Cup #1..... are you ready? I'm ready.

Time Trial results from yesterday HERE
Time Trial results from today should be up soon on http://zone4.ca/results/

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, it sucks alright. Especially when the euros start faulting each of us that they meet.
    Race on.

    ReplyDelete